Sunday, January 30, 2011

a book for your life

Here is the first book recommendation I have for you.
I've had the pleasure of reading this book for the last few years. Each day is a small excerpt from a variety of his major works; Mere Christianity, Screwtape Letters, The Problem of Pain, A Grief Observed, Surprised by Joy with other speeches and radio bits mixed in. It's a really wonderful way of becoming acquainted with his books (he wrote over 30), his genius, and his astounding wisdom. 
I am almost always able to read through a passage and just as I begin to remember it his point, word choice, or sheer simplicity strikes me - it's always a surprise and always illuminating to read him. 
I know that my Barnes & Noble has this book waiting for you and I want to greatly encourage you to purchase it, I think it is a beautiful idea to each day make a small pursuit in the name of wisdom and logic, and of course, our good Lord. This is a book that you could read every year of your life, probably the only book I plan on doing that with, I like the companion I've chosen, I hope you will like him too.

2 comments:

  1. one day, when i have a few more free hours in my day, i'll read this book. thanks for sharing your love for CS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this book because of your post and my love for Clive Staples...and I am so very much enjoying it...thanks Molly:)

    ReplyDelete