Saturday, April 23, 2011

michael



I just watched the most recent episode of The Office and I have tears pouring down my face. This may be one of the only times that that show has literally made me cry out of sheer sadness.. I dearly, dearly love the show and I am so sad to see Michael leave. Michael has made me laugh for years and harder than almost anyone else. At perhaps the highest point of my obsession with the show I would say to someone, "Hey, remember when Michael said (funny quote) " and I would laugh, really hard. Then whoever it was would say, "Wait, who's Michael? how do you know him?"  Me: "oh yeah, uh, I meant Michael Scott, uh from The Office,  not like a friend of mine or anything. . ." - this happened a lot. We were close & he has meant a lot to me. I love that in an awkward moment he can make me cringe to the point where I'm  covering my eyes because I don't want to see what I'm hearing -  that's how you know it's good.. I still can't watch the episode, "Phyllis' Wedding" - it's almost unendurable. But that's amazing, it's what amuses me and I love that push. Despite how much I have loved the show I really am surprised by how sad I am. I didn't know how much I loved & cherished having Michael Scott actively participating in my daily or weekly life. To quote him about how I feel right now, "It's simply beyond words. It's incalculacable". So, in an Ode to Michael here are some of my favorite  quotes of all time. I hope these quotes make you laugh & maybe make you watch some old episodes, please feel free to leave a favorite quote of yours below. 

Here's to you Michael,

"I swore to myself if I ever got to walk around the room as manager, people would laugh as they saw me coming, and they'd applaud as I walked away."

"That is a perfectly good mini Christmas tree. We are going to sell that to charity because that is what Christmas is all about."

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

"This is our receptionist, Pam. If you think she's cute now, you should have seen her a couple years ago."

"Armani get me Armani. (pause) You're not going to Paris."

"I'm very fast. I'm like Forrest Gump"

"This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell outta here,"

"Yeah, I went hunting once. Shot a deer in the leg. Had to kill it with a shovel. Took about an hour. Why do you ask?"

"Yes. It is true. I, Michael Scott, am signing up with an online dating service. Thousands of people have done it, and I am going to do it. I need a username, and... I have a great one. "Little Kid Lover". That way people will know exactly where my priorities are at."

"Toby is in HR, which technically means he works for corporate, so he's really not a part of our family. Also, he's divorced, so he's really not a part of his family." 

Prank call: "Hey, Ryan, this is your girlfriend and I'm mad. (out of control laughter)" 

"You may look around, and see two groups here. White collar, blue collar. But I don't see it that way. You know why not? Because I am collar-blind." 

To Toby: "Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not... that way. I hate... so much about the things that you choose to be."

and finally . . .

"That's what *she* said." 

Thanks for the laughs buddy,
molly




2 comments:

  1. you forgot: "what's the deal with grapenuts. no grapes. no nuts. i don't get no respect."

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites that has me laughing hysterically every time I watch it (the whole exchange needs to be read together):

    Ryan: What I really want, honestly, Michael is for you to know it so that you can communicate it to the people here, to your clients, whomever.

    Michael Scott: Oh okay.

    Ryan: What?

    Michael Scott: It's whoever, not whomever.
    Ryan: It's whomever.

    Michael Scott: No, whomever is never acutally right.

    Jim Halpert: Nope, sometimes it's right.

    Creed: Michael is right. It's a made up word used to trick students--

    Andy: No. Actually, whomever is the formal version of the word--

    Oscar: Obviously it's a real word- but I don't know how to use it correctly.

    Michael Scott: [to camera] Not a native speaker.

    Kevin: I know what's right. But I'm not gonna say. Because you're all jerks who didn't come see my band last night.

    Ryan: Do you really know which one is correct?

    Kevin: I don't know.

    Pam Beesly: It's whom when it's the object of the sentence and who when as the subject.

    Phyllis: That sounds right.

    Michael Scott: Well it sounds right but is it?

    Stanley: How did Ryan use it, as an object?

    Ryan: As an object.

    Kelly: Ryan used me as an object.

    Oscar: Is he right about that--

    Pam Beesly: How did he use it again?

    Toby: It was, Ryan wanted Michael, the subject, to explain the computer system, the object--

    Michael Scott: Thank you!

    Toby: ...to whomever, meaning us, the indirect object. Which is the, the correct usage of the word.

    Michael Scott: No one, uh asked you anything ever so whomever's name is Toby, why don't you take a letter opener and stick it in your skull?

    ReplyDelete